Saturday, January 5, 2013

Quotidien

It has been a cat-pee-on-the-couch, baby-poo-on-the-rug kind of morning. Tempered by a big mug of fragrant jasmine green tea and Stewart McLean on the CBC.

The babe is down for a nap, the couch cushions are soaked in a vinegar/dish soap/water solution that seemed to work last time. The floors are swept, and the cat is hiding, so the dogs are in to relax by the wood stove.

This mama is left wondering if she's bitten off more than she can chew.

Since my cat, Patsy, died last spring, I've been missing a feline presence in the house. Aedan has been getting better with the dogs, learning more about "gentle" each day; I felt sure that the right cat would fit right into our Dempster home. On new years eve, we brought home Jameson, a sweet one year old grey cat from the local shelter.

He's taking his time warming up, but spends a little more time out of hiding each day. He's wary of Aedan, and of the dogs, too. I'm stressing a little over how he's fitting in, even losing a bit of sleep over it.

And he's peeing on furniture. This is the second time he's peed on a couch, and last night I crawled into a big stinky wet spot in our bed. I hope he can settle in here and feel comfortable, but if the peeing hasn't stopped by the end of the 2 week foster/trial period, he'll have to go back, and I'll have to put off my dream of a cat...

Jameson

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet little face he has. I lost my kitty in September and so want to bring a new one home. Try a different litter box. That worked for my Cassie . She didn't like the first one I had for her. I got one with a lid and she used that one. Also, the sides weren't as high as the first one. Good luck Tara .

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. It's so hard to lose our animal friends! I hope soon you can give a home to a cat in need of one. :)

      I've got a litter box with a lid, which I've seen him use. I thought about trying one without the lid, but with the babe ranging around, I'm afraid it would become a (gross) sandbox.

      Delete
  2. Oy, that is a nasty thing to deal with!

    One of our cats is a puker; she binges on kibble and then yakks it up in the worst spots. Nothing like stepping in fresh kitty barf in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! And this morning makes day #4 of cleaning up cat pee. Things are not looking good for Jameson.

      Kitty barf...yuck!

      Delete
  3. He is a lovely looking cat but I would not be wanting to clear up pee all the time. Why did he end up at the shelter, could that be related to why he pee's everywhere? I hope he settles and stays with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm not wanting to add it to my list of things to do! I'm not sure why he was surrendered in the first place, but I don't think it was because of peeing on furniture. The shelter is usually forthcoming with that kind of information.

      I hope so, too, but it's not looking likely!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tara, just wondering how Jameson is doing? I hope he is much better and using the box.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I had to bring Jameson back to the shelter, he'd peed on the furniture 5 out of 6 nights. The shelter attendant told us that this brother, who is also at the shelter, did the same thing when fostered out. I was sad to see him go, he was sweet. I hope he can find a home where he can settle in!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.