Saturday, November 16, 2013

Today

Today began in darkness, as every day does. We sat in our usual places in the living room, and we poured out our misery like the morning coffee. "I'm not having any fun."  "I feel so overwhelmed."  "I wish we were somewhere else." 

And then, as the sun rose, the bad moods lifted. It's amazing how the simple act of giving voice to our unhappiness can dispel it. 

"Lily!!"




I got a pot of roasted butternut squash soup simmering on the stove. I managed to get myself and the little ones outside for a half hour, and then back in for hot chocolate and lunch. Then it was nap time and a good phone call to my mom. P got home from doing some work in the office, and we all went outside again, this time to burn some brush.








We had the soup for dinner, and then the boys each had a bath, with only minimal crying from Aedan. He went to sleep easily, as he has been lately, and Colm is asleep now in my lap as I type this. The candles have all burned down, there is jazz and Tim Tam on the CBC. I'll tuck this day away in my back pocket, and remember it on a day that doesn't feel so smooth and rhythmic....

But I hope they become more like this!

2 comments:

  1. I love these pictures, it looks so beautiful outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie, it does get better. Just better and better. I promise!!! Hunter and Cavan are now 6.5 and 4.5. It is freaking awesome. Okay, yes I want to beat them still half the time and yes I lock them outside on the backdeck and close the curtains so I can have my tea in semi-peace.... but it gets better.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.